Re: [AUCTeX] automatic package search fails

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] automatic package search fails
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 20:43:54 +0200

* Sivaram Neelakantan (2011-04-19) writes:

> On a XP machine, I configured and installed CVS auctex thus.
>
> ./configure --with-emacs=/cygdrive/c/gnu/emacs-23.3/bin/emacs
> --with-texmf-dir='/cygdrive/c/MiKTeX2.9'
> --prefix=/cygdrive/c/gnu/emacs-23.3
> --with-lispdir=/cygdrive/c/gnu/emacs-23.3/site-lisp
[...]
> If I try to add a package via C-C RET, the \usepackage prompt appears
> but I get the error message
>
> Searching for files...
> TeX-search-files-by-type: No TeX trees available; configure
> `TeX-tree-roots'

Is the `bin' directory of MiKTeX in PATH?  In other words, does
M-: (executable-find "kpsewhich") <RET>
return a path to the executable?

> which I see is in tex.el.  It says that the following should be set?
>
> $TEXMFHOME" "$TEXMFMAIN" "$TEXMFLOCAL" "$TEXMFDIST"

No, it doesn't say this.  These are just the environment variables which
are checked for the automatic configuration.

Before advancing further, let's see what the answer to the question
above is.