Re: [AUCTeX] auto directory created with .el file when saving a bib file

From: spinner
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] auto directory created with .el file when saving a bib file?
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 23:00:43 -0700 (PDT)

Vinh Nguyen-4 wrote:

> Suppose I edit a file AuthorYearTitle.bib in emacs with AucTeX.  As
> soon as I save the file, a directory called "auto" gets created in the
> working directory.
>
> Why is this directory and file being created?  What is its use?

I noticed this, too, a while ago (but not just for bib files) and searched
for an answer like you. I found an explanation for this directory in the
Auctex documentation. From what I understand, Auctex uses it to speed up
operations when compiling.

http://www.gnu.org/s/auctex/manual/auctex/Parsing-Files.html