Re: [AUCTeX] Auctex in ELPA is a bit old. Recommended version?

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Auctex in ELPA is a bit old. Recommended version?
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 21:52:21 +0200

* Max Henner Gerlach (2012-05-29) writes:

> Switching to a more recent development version of Auctex fixes that
> problem. Is there a snapshot you would recommended to use? Currently I
> use auctex-20120426-a from
> http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/auctex/snapshots/ftp
> but there I experience other issues, mainly apparently hooks like
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'reftex-mode) have no effect.

The site you mention is likely the only source providing pre-compiled
snapshots.  The only other option to get a recent AUCTeX would be to get
the sources via CVS and compile them yourself.

Regarding the problem you mention, maybe the snapshot is not installed
correctly?  Did you run `make' and `make install'?

After opening a LaTeX file, are there any errors in the *Messages*
buffer?  Or do you see errors if you start emacs with --debug-init?