Re: [AUCTeX] How to display progress of makefile compilation via C-c C-l

From: Hofert Jan Marius
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] How to display progress of makefile compilation via C-c C-l when makefile is called via C-c C-x?
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 17:34:31 +0000

Excellent, Ivan, exactly what I was looking for.

Many thanks,

Marius

On Oct 9, 2012, at 5:31 PM, Hofert Jan Marius wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I have a larger LaTeX project to compile, I typically use a Makefile. With
> "C-c C-c make" I can compile the project and with "C-c C-l" I can view the
> (last line of the) output (for monitoring). However, I cannot specify
> specific arguments to make (unless I specifically define these calls in
> ~/.emacs).

If you do C-u C-c C-c make RET then you will be able to edit the command before
it runs.  You can also change it in `TeX-command-list' to always prompt.

> In contrast, "C-c C-x" runs "compile" and I can specify arguments to make,
> such as "make distclean" for example. However, when I run the Makefile via
> "C-c C-x", then "C-c C-l" gives me "No process for this document", so
> monitoring the output of make is not easily possible anymore (of course, one
> can change to the output buffer and jump downwards, but that's comparably
> tedious).
>
> Is it possible to have "C-c C-l" work for "C-c C-x" as it does for "C-c C-c
> make"?

I think the best way to do this is as above.  Best as in the least amount of
work.

-Ivan