Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX 11.87 released (elpa)

From: George McNinch
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX 11.87 released (elpa)
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 08:10:30 -0500

Hi--

Concerning this:

    >>> But I can update the AUCTeX files on the ELPA branch tomorrow
    >>> and ask on emacs-devel so that someone updates the package.

    Tassilo> It turned out not to be that easy.  The auctex package in
    Tassilo> the elpa branch uses a different directory layout which
    Tassilo> seems to make some manual adaptions needed here and there.

I have been using AUCTeX 11.86 from elpa for a while. Upon upgrading
yesterday to 11.87, "things broke".

More precisely, if I do

   M-x list-packages  U x

to install AUCTeX 11.87, restart emacs, and visit a LaTeX file in an
emacs buffer, I get the following error:

   File mode specification error: (void-variable latex-mode)

The problem goes away if I revert to the 11.86 elpa package (fortunately
for me, my ~/.emacs.d lives in dropbox, so it was easy to revert. The
first time I installed the elpa package for AUCTeX 11.87, I subsequently
chose to delete the 11.86 package via the package manager...)

It seems possible (??) that my "AUCTeX initialization" is dated - I
haven't thought much about it for a while. The (only) code in my emacs
initialization related to AUCTeX seems to be the following:

,----
| (require 'tex-site)
| (require 'tex)
|
| (TeX-global-PDF-mode)
|
| ;;;reftex
|
| (require  'reftex)
| (autoload 'reftex-mode    "reftex" "RefTeX Minor Mode" t)
| (autoload 'turn-on-reftex "reftex" "RefTeX Minor Mode" nil)
| (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with AUCTeX LaTeX mode
| (setq reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX t)
`----

But skimming the Info files just now, this didn't seem problematic.

(I know: shameful that I don't use preview-latex yet...)

Well: as I said, the 11.86 elpa package works fine for me (with the
above initialization stuff).

Best,
george

--