Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX and Tramp

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX and Tramp
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 08:57:44 +0100

Seb <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Seb,

> Has a mechanism to do this (processing files in the remote host, using
> TRAMP) been implemented in AUCTeX?

No, I don't think AUCTeX has been implemented with processing of remote
tex files in mind.  Maybe that's not a good idea anyway, because AUCTeX
finds and parses used latex style files etc, and that might be slow over
networks.  On the other hand, if we can make C-c C-c work with TRAMP,
that wouldn't be bad.

>>> Most likely some instances of start-process and
>>> start-process-shell-command need to be replaced with
>>> start-file-process and start-file-process-shell-command.

One problem is that AUCTeX is supposed to work with XEmacs 21.4, and
that doesn't have a `start-file-process' function.  But of course we can
add a `TeX-start-file-process' compatibility function and use that.

>> Thanks for the suggestion; the patch below fixes the problem for me (I
>> don't know if any of the remaining calls start-process in AUCTeX
>> should also be changed, but it wasn't necessary for my case).

Sorry, the patch is garbled/wrapped.  Could you please send it again?

Bye,
Tassilo