[AUCTeX] language specific quotes in auctex 11.87: bug?

From: Rainer Thiel
Subject: [AUCTeX] language specific quotes in auctex 11.87: bug?
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 14:39:24 +0100

I wonder whether I might have found a bug in AUCTeX 11.87:

When I use the babel package with a line such as

     \usepackage[italian,ngerman]{babel}

AUCTeX now uses the quotes for the language given as the *leftmost*
option.  \selectlanguage{ngerman} seems to have no effect.  English,
british etc. is treated in a special way I fail to understand yet.

Consistently with how the babel package works, AUCTeX 11.86 used to
use the quotes for the *rightmost* language.  (I am not sure if
\selectlanguage{...}, as would certainly be desirable, had any effect
there.)

Is this a bug or am I overlooking something?

Many thanks in advance

Rainer