Re: [AUCTeX] how to use the git repository to obtain the latest aucTeX?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] how to use the git repository to obtain the latest aucTeX?
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 17:34:29 +0200

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

>>> ./configure --prefix="$HOME"
>>> make
>>> make install
>>
>> Oh, and somehow the above doesn't work for me.  It still tries to access
>> stuff outside my HOME.
>>
>> % make install
>> ./mkinstalldirs /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
>> rm -f /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-site.el # Remove old
>> (Git-version) mistakes
>> test ! -f /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tex-site.el || { \
>>    if grep -q "tex-site.*Don't edit."
>> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tex-site.el; then \
>>     echo "Overwriting old tex-site.el" ; \
>>    else \
>>     echo "Renaming old tex-site.el to tex-site.el.save" ; \
>>     mv /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tex-site.el
>> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tex-site.el.save ; \
>>    fi; \
>> }
>> if test Xno = Xno; \
>> then /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 tex-site.el /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp ; \
>> else rm -f /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tex-site.el ; \
>> fi
>> /usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file
>> ‘/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tex-site.el’: Permission denied
>> make: *** [install-el] Error 1
>
> That has also been reported as a bug some time ago:
>
>   address@hidden
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-auctex/2012-10/msg00002.html
>
> It seems you can get a bit further by also specifying
> --with-lispdir="$HOME/.emacs.d", but then it'll fail when trying to
> install the preview stuff globally:
>
>   mkdir -p -- /usr/share/texmf-site/tex/latex/preview
>   mkdir: cannot create directory
> ‘/usr/share/texmf-site/tex/latex/preview’: Permission denied
>
> So it doesn't seem to be as easy as advertised.

When all else fails, you can always read the documentation.

`--prefix=`/usr/local''
     All automatic placements for package components will be chosen from
     sensible existing hierarchies below this: directories like `man',
     `share' and `bin' are supposed to be directly below PREFIX.

     Only if no workable placement can be found there, in some cases an
     alternative search will be made in a prefix deduced from a suitable
     binary.

     `/usr/local' is the default PREFIX, intended to be suitable for a
     site-wide installation.  If you are packaging this as an operating
     system component for distribution, the setting `/usr' will
     probably be the right choice.  If you are planning to install the
     package as a single non-priviledged user, you will typically set
     PREFIX to your home directory.

`--with-lispdir=/DIR'
     This Emacs-only option specifies the location of the `site-lisp'
     directory within `load-path' under which the files will get
     installed (the bulk will get installed in a subdirectory).
     `./configure' should figure this out by itself.

(naturally, you need a site-lisp directory within load-path where you
have write permission)

`--with-texmf-dir=/DIR
     --without-texmf-dir'
     This option is used for specifying a TDS-compliant directory
     hierarchy.  Using `--with-texmf-dir=/DIR' you can specify where
     the TeX TDS directory hierarchy resides, and the TeX files will
     get installed in `/DIR/tex/latex/preview/'.

     If you use the `--without-texmf-dir' option, the TeX-related files
     will be kept in the Emacs Lisp tree, and at runtime the
     `TEXINPUTS' environment variable will be made to point there.  You
     can install those files into your own TeX tree at some later time
     with `M-x preview-install-styles RET'.

I mean, it is all described there in detail.  In the manual section
dealing with configuration and installation.

There is even a section "Advice for the non-privileged user" that goes
into considerably more detail for this use case.

Why don't people read it?  Why don't they reference it?  Maybe AUCTeX
should not use any fallbacks but just refuse to do anything when people
tell it to install to a hierarchy that they don't actually place into
their load-path or similar.

--
David Kastrup