Re: [AUCTeX] preloading AUCTeX

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] preloading AUCTeX
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 08:24:36 +0100

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

Hi David,

> Has anyone succeeded in preloading AUCTeX, that is, compiling AUCTeX
> into the Emacs binary when building?

No, I haven't even known that it is possible at all.

> In my quick experiments loading some large .el files (e.g., tex.el)
> required dependencies caused the process to fail.  (One would probably
> have to include everything, in the right order.)  Also, is there any
> configuration detection at load-time, that should not be preloaded to
> keep the binary portable?

AUCTeX uses a set of variables (TeX-data-directory, TeX-lisp-directory,
preview-datadir, preview-lispdir) internally to load stuff.  Those are
set according to the options given to configure.

> At this time, loading AUCTeX (with the first .tex file) takes 3.5
> seconds on a modern i7 laptop with SSD drive.  That's a lot!

Yes, but since it's just a one-timer, it doesn't bother me too much.

Bye,
Tassilo