Re: [AUCTeX] texlive 2014

From: Ernst Reissner
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] texlive 2014
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 01:21:07 +0200

On 08/10/2014 01:03 AM, Mosè Giordano wrote:

>>> Are you sure your *tex binaries are in the PATH environment variable?
>>> Try restarting your system if you have just changed some settings.
>>> Usually you don't need to configure anything inside AUCTeX, if a TeX
>>> distribution is properly installed.
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Mosè
>>>
>> To tell you the truth, i am not.
>> I right now added
>>
>> (getenv "PATH")
>>  (setenv "PATH"
>> (concat
>>  "/usr/local/texlive/2014/bin/x86_64-linux" ":"
>> (getenv "PATH")))
>>
>> to my .emacs-file and it seems to work.
>> "/usr/local/texlive/2014/bin/x86_64-linux" is the location of my
>> tex-binaries.
>> I wonder about this is necessary, because i also added this to the path
>> of my shell to run latex and pdflatex and others
>> on the command line.
> How do you add that directory to your PATH for your shell (which
> shell?)?  One should use a .profile file or another file which is
> sourced at the system startup.
>
>> Do you think, i found a solution or is it just a hack?
> You found a solution but this should work also without changing the
> PATH within Emacs: if the PATH is properly set in the system, Emacs
> will be able to find latex itself.
>
> Bye,
> Mosè
>
> PS: please keep the AUCTeX mailing list in CC, this may be useful for
> other people out there.

Yes, Mosè
I have doubts.

I use bash.
Consequently, in .bashrc I wrote
export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2014/bin/x86_64-linux:....:$PATH
where .... is some other segment of path and
/usr/local/texlive/2014/bin/x86_64-linux is the location of the tex-binaries.

As i wrote earlier, when trying to latex from within emacs
using auctex, the message was:

Running `LaTeX' on `l2r' with ``latex  -interaction=nonstopmode "\input"
l2r.tex''
/bin/sh: latex: command not found

ok then i found, that one can change the shell
and i wondered whether this is the problem.

The result was:

Running `LaTeX' on `l2r' with ``pdflatex  -interaction=nonstopmode "\input"
l2r.tex''
/bin/bash: pdflatex: command not found

and as you see: i managed to change shell and i also changed to pdflatex.
And I removed the path from my .emacs-file.

Still
pdflatex  -interaction=nonstopmode "\input" l2r.tex
 on the shell works fine.

Whats wrong now?!

Greetings,
Ernst