[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with latex2e style hook --- LaTeX/Texinfo collision

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with latex2e style hook --- LaTeX/Texinfo collision
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 15:39:23 +0200

Hi Vincent,

2014-08-14 11:42 GMT+02:00 Vincent Belaïche <address@hidden>:
> Dear all,
> I have found a problem with AUCTeX. Here is the observed problem: when I
> edit a Texinfo file named latex2e.texi 'C-c C-f' does not provide
> Texinfo-font-list but LaTeX-font-list. The problem happens only if
> latex2e.texi is not the first file I am editing, but I have edited some
> LaTeX file --- say foo.tex --- before that.
> Note: latex2e.texi is the english version of unofficial LaTeX manual
> maintained by Karl Berry and myself on GNA!  latexrefman project. I
> don't think that we are going to change the filename --- everybody
> should be free to name their files in the way they like!
> The root of the problem is in AUCTeX latex.el as follows
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> (TeX-add-style-hook "latex2e"
>               ;; Use new fonts for `\documentclass' documents.
>               (lambda ()
>             (setq TeX-font-list LaTeX-font-list)
>             (setq TeX-font-replace-function 'TeX-font-replace-macro)
>             (run-hooks 'LaTeX2e-hook)))
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> After editing foo.tex the LaTeX mode is invoked, which in turns evaluate
> (LaTeX-common-initialization), which in turn adds the "latex2e" style
> hook as above.
> Now, after texinfo-mode invocation on latex2e.texi, TeX-font-list is
> correctly pointing to Texinfo-font-list. But then, when 'C-c C-f' is
> called, then (TeX-update-style) is evaluated, and then the The latex2e
> style hook pushed to TeX-style-hook-list by prior editing of foo.tex is
> run, which has the effect of evaluating (setq TeX-font-list
> LaTeX-font-list): that is the problem.

This is due to a long-standing bug: AUCTeX doesn't use file extensions
in style hooks, so there is always a clash between two files with the
same base name (I used to have a LaTeX master file and the
corresponding bibliography file with the same base name, I had to
change my workflow when switched to AUCTeX) or even, as in your case,
a real file and a fictitious file (the latex2e style hook).
Unfortunately, fixing this bug would require a large and
breaking-backward-compatibility work.


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]