Re: [AUCTeX] running C-c C-c very slow

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] running C-c C-c very slow
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 20:50:55 +0200

Jannis <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Jannis,

> Sorry for beeing insistent,

Sorry, I've had no time to come back to you until now.

But as you've said below in your last message:

>> See above. Could this also be related to the location of the *.tex
>> file? I mount some remote samba share via VPN to my file system and
>> all the files Latex uses are located there. Maybe the change in speed
>> that i noticed is not due to me updating my system but due to me
>> changing my physical location. Before I worked at a place where these
>> files were located in the local network and were not acessed over the
>> internet.

Well, that means that AUCTeX does more than thousand file-exists-p
checks on files that are accessed via network.  Not astonishing that
this is slow.  (NFS was just an example.  Samba is quite similar.)

> Is this also crucial for the *.tex etc files of the document beeing
> worked on?

No.

Ok, so how to solve the problem?

  1. You could check if there's some optimization/caching option for
     samba that speeds up file existance checks.

  2. Install a TeX distro locally.

Bye,
Tassilo