Re: [AUCTeX] Error in preview-get-geometry() function of preview-latex

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Error in preview-get-geometry() function of preview-latex
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 21:17:01 +0100

Chase Dwelle <address@hidden> writes:

> I am very new to lisp so I need some help parsing the error I'm
> encountering. Any time I try to preview a document, buffer, section, etc.
> in a .tex file I get the error
>
> "Display geometry unavailable: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil"
>
> The error comes from the preview-get-geometry() function, and the full
> backtrace is given below. Any help getting preview to work would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> -Chase
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Display geometry unavailable: Wrong
> type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil")
>
>   signal(error ("Display geometry unavailable: Wrong type argument:
> number-or-marker-p, nil"))

preview-latex requires an Emacs running on a graphics display rather
than in a text terminal since the point of preview-latex is displaying
graphics in the Emacs buffer itself.

The information you give does not suffice to figure out whether you are
intentionally running a non-graphical Emacs.

If you do, preview-latex is uninteresting for you.  Rather use the
"View" menu/commands.  They are generally useful in contrast to
preview-latex.  preview-latex is only interesting for a limited number
of constructs (math ranks rather high there), but for those cases, it
tends to be very nice.

--
David Kastrup