Re: [AUCTeX] Long loading time

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Long loading time
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 22:01:50 +0200

jfbu <address@hidden> writes:

> To Tassilo: we see some duplicate kpsewhich calls above.  Could there
> be a way to do them only once and store the result? This would divide
> by 2 the loading time of AUCTeX on systems where kpsewhich is slow.

Well, of course caching would be possible.  But you should pinpoint the
bottleneck first, e.g., by using the profiler as I've described in my
first reply to Stefan.  I can hardly imagine that kpsewhich is so slow
on Mac/Windows.

Here on real operating system (SCNR) and TeXLive 2014

     (benchmark-run 50 (TeX-tree-roots))

takes 5.84 secs.  `TeX-tree-roots' calls `TeX-tree-expand' to expand 4
paths, i.e., the benchmark above performs 200 kpathsea calls in under 6
seconds on my laptop.  Ok, I have an SSD now but had no AUCTeX load
problems on my older system, too.

Bye,
Tassilo