Re: [AUCTeX] New release on Friday?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] New release on Friday?
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 16:02:30 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> Hi David (and Mosè),
>

>> It's not just preview-latex.  It makes good sense to avoid line-wrapping
>> stuff like $\sum_{i=0}^2 i$ in the middle even when not using
>> preview-latex.  Using preview-latex leads to overlong lines when a line
>> break in the middle gets hidden.  Which makes it a good idea in the
>> context of preview-latex to break after the final $ again _iff_ there is
>> a line break in the middle.  So the "break after" rules are mostly
>> interesting in the context of preview-latex.  But the "break before"
>> rules which move a formula to the next line if it would otherwise be
>> broken across lines certainly make sense also outside of preview-latex.
>>

> The point is that, until a month or so ago when the bug was corrected,
> such line break as you describe *never* happened *by default* for
> '$...$' inline formulae. In fact, when the bug was corrected and line
> break started to behave as you describe, a user wrote to the auctex
> mailing list, asking on why the new "odd" line-breaking behaviour.

No, after the "fix" lines got broken after $...$ even when $...$ fitted
perfectly well onto the line.

I'm pretty sure that the functionality worked fine a few years ago since
I had been using it extensively then (I've not been doing as much
recently).  So there must have been changes in between for the worse.

> So, to put LaTeX-fill-break-at-separators to nil or to (better in my
> opinion) (\\\[ \\\]) by default, is actually to revert to the filling
> behaviour that auctex had for several years...
>
> ...Or am I missing something?

I'm pretty sure about that.  I'm currently in a bind regarding tax
deadlines so I cannot really start investigating.  But I'm pretty sure
that something in either Emacs or AUCTeX must have significantly
changed.

--
David Kastrup