Re: [AUCTeX] No syntax coloration for ConTeXt

From: Carlos
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] No syntax coloration for ConTeXt
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 10:45:32 -0500

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Marin,

>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I was trying out ConTeXt using aucTeX, and noticed that ConTeXt specific
>> syntax does not get any syntax highlighting.
>> Is it because it is not implemented ?
>
> Yes, there is no active developer using ConTeXt, so development on
> that side is inevitably slower, but patches are always welcome.

Your majesty :) would there be known issues, if something like:

(defvar context-font
  (font-lock-add-keywords 'context-mode ' ("\\\\[a:-z0-9A-Z,]*")))

(set (make-local-variable 'font-lock-defaults)
'(context-font nil t))

is implemented in context.el?

I've been trying to have something similar for a lesser known set of
macros. Namely: csplain. But it seems as if the playing ground is not
appropriately levered here. Of course, without aucTeX, the same action:
that of having csplain's set of macros implemented with syntax coloring,
is somewhat more straightforward by using emacs alone...
But then, it feels as if Emacs is failing me altogether,
and not vice versa. :), for aucTeX is supposed to be an extension of it,
and not a simple afterthought. After all, humans speak Lisp,
and not the other way around.

But I guess the protocol (whatever that means) follows accordingly, in
that big boys are always served first accordingly (just because they have a
'great'
dialect, (I've never seen more irony in saying:

\ExplSyntaxOn
%
\ExplSyntaxOff

and find the text: grayed out in Emacs. It's probably because it needs to be
explored
:), before syntax highlighting is available. But I don't even use LaTex,
so all the nice coloring which may be implemented now, or in the near
future, is useless). Therefore I don't get any benefit from even using
emacs. It may be the case that others do. But since I have to follow
the bureaucracy's conventions in orderly
fashion, with something as simple as implementing coloring in a set of
macros, no different from the big boys (is that clear enough?), it becomes
clear that the
greatest chore yet, is to use a TeX format in emacs.

As a user: I'd like to see leverage. But not because of me, but because
of fair play. As simple as that. Emacs is not indispensable.

The last known leverage, of which I have a recollection of (and which you fixed,
was to properly utilize a string to differentiate Mark II from Mark
IV with ConTeXt. And made the code 'acceptable'.
Of course, that did not come 'free'. Oh no no. I had to reconfigure,
remake, and install, in *various* occasions, and

TeX-ConText-sentinel:

had to be carved out *various* times until:

TeX-current-pages

was left intact in context.el. This served only a purpose for me: as the sole
reminder of an Emacs Compilation. Imagine that!
It no longer was a TeX compilation, but all of a sudden, was aucTeX's
success and/or failures.

Prior to that, the implementation of pdf mode enabled by default, was the
most significant leap, for xetex and luatex, especially the latter
required it.

But all in all, csplain for example, doesn't have the luxury of colors as
the big boys do. And not because is not known, but because after
aucTeX's inception, the aforementioned macros have not been as important
as others have.

Hopefully one day, this pattern will be undone. Hopefully.

Have a good day.