Re: [AUCTeX] How to colorize tildes?

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] How to colorize tildes?
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 14:28:03 +0100

Hi Marcin,

> Hi all,
>
> I used a lot of tildes ("~" signs) in my (La)TeX documents.  What would
> be the best way to make them dimmed in TeX modes?  I mean, I could use
> font-lock-keywords, but maybe there is some infrastructure in
> tex-font.el?  (Also, when I - or we - figure it out, I'd like to submit
> a patch for that.)  BTW, should font-related things common to TeX and
> LaTeX be put in both tex-font.el and font-latex.el?

I think it's clear I'm not really involved in the font-locking side of
AUCTeX, but I noticed that tex-font isn't used at all even in a
plain-TeX file, (featurep 'tex-font) always returns nil.
`TeX-install-font-lock' defaults to `font-latex', so even for
plain-TeX documents the LaTeX font-locking infrastructure is used.
tex-font.el never received a non-comment edit since it was created
back in 2000 and its few features aren't described in the manual.
Probably it should be an extremely lightweight package, but I think it
does almost nothing and it isn't used anywhere in AUCTeX.  If no one
is going to miss it, I think we can completely delete it.  Comments on
this?

Bye,
Mosè