Re: [AUCTeX] Subfiles package and reftex

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Subfiles package and reftex
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 10:33:47 +0100

Hi Colin,

> How is this any advantage over simply using \include(file1}? I must be
> missing something here.

I don't use subfiles, but my understanding is that you can compile a
single subfile without changing anything in the source code.  This is
particularly easy with AUCTeX, because in an included file C-c C-a (or
C-c C-c) compiles the current file, instead in master file it compiles
the whole document.  Instead, with include mechanism you have to
select every time the file to be included with \includeonly, manually
editing the file whenever you want to switch between a single file or
the whole document or you want to change the single file to be
compiled.  I don't know whether there are other advantages.

Bye,
Mosè