[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [AUCTeX] Japanese LaTeX classes not recognized

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Japanese LaTeX classes not recognized
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 22:57:50 +0100


I have made some (surprising) progress on my problem.

I am lacking the Emacs-Lisp knowledge to go much farther
and also some energy now because reaching this was
already non-trivial and time-consuming.

(and today that's the Third important "bug" in software
I have been confronted with)

Please believe me because what I am going to explain
is barely credible.

I mentioned I am using this built:

I am not sure if it is related to this or is an intrinsic
behaviour of AucTeX, but all my problems go back to the
fact that I customized TeX-command-list, 

(coincidentally it got mentioned in another thread.)

The actual contents of my customization is **not** the cause, the
actual cause seems to be that I have **removed** some stuff...
let me try to clarify

if my custom.el contains for TeX-command-list this:

(which is the start of the default)

    (("TeX" "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %(extraopts) 
%`%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
  (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
  :help "Run plain TeX")
 ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
  (latex-mode doctex-mode)
  :help "Run LaTeX")
 ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %t" TeX-run-compile nil
  :help "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
 ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) --html %t" TeX-run-compile nil
  :help "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
 ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %(extraopts) %`%S%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
  :help "Run AMSTeX")
 ("ConTeXt" "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t" 
TeX-run-TeX nil
  :help "Run ConTeXt once")
 ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX nil
  :help "Run ConTeXt until completion")
 ("BibTeX" "%(bibtex) %s" TeX-run-BibTeX nil t :help "Run BibTeX")
 ("Biber" "biber %s" TeX-run-Biber nil t :help "Run Biber")
 ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help "Run Viewer")
 ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
 ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help "View the printer queue" :visible 
 ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t t :help "Generate PostScript 
 ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil t :help "Convert DVI file to 
 ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx %d" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil t :help "Convert DVI file to 
PDF with dvipdfmx")
 ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil t :help "Convert PostScript file to 
 ("Index" "%(makeindex) %s" TeX-run-index nil t :help "Run makeindex to create 
index file")

then all is fine. But take the exact same except that your remove the last line

 ("Index" "%(makeindex) %s" TeX-run-index nil t :help "Run makeindex to create 
index file")

then, my problem appears. (quit and relaunch Emacs when subtracting; when adding
I only need to do load-file)

In more detail:

with the set-up above up to **and including** the Index line, when
I go and open a buffer on a file using a Japanese class, then,
much to my surprise
(and it is a quite ironical because it all started with me wanting
to learn about Japanese LaTeX classes), the TeX-command-list
actually changes (is this AUCTeX official behaviour ?) and gets more entries:

(which I should have seen years ago but never got too because this process
is broken when I customize TeX-command-list in a certain way)

("jTeX" "%(PDF)jtex %`%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
  :help "Run NTT jTeX")
 ("jLaTeX" "%(PDF)jlatex %`%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
  :help "Run NTT jLaTeX")
 ("pTeX" "%(PDF)ptex %(kanjiopt)%`%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
  :help "Run ASCII pTeX")
 ("pLaTeX" "%(PDF)platex %(kanjiopt)%`%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
  :help "Run ASCII pLaTeX")
 ("Mendex" "mendex %(mendexkopt)%s" TeX-run-command nil t :help "Create index 
file with mendex")
 ("jBibTeX" "jbibtex %s" TeX-run-BibTeX nil t :help "Run jBibTeX")
 ("pBibTeX" "pbibtex %(kanjiopt)%s" TeX-run-BibTeX nil t :help "Run pBibTeX")
 ("-" "" ignore nil t)
which are inserted at start of TeX-command-list

(once this insertion is done it remains in effect in buffers
not using the Japanese class)

If I omit the 

 ("Index" "%(makeindex) %s" TeX-run-index nil t :help "Run makeindex to create 
index file")

then this insertion of extra things seemingly does NOT HAPPEN
when I open a buffer on a file like testmendex.tex, and an 
error is reported instead.

My own customizations can be all put at end of TeX-command-list
they are not by themselves the cause of the problem
(further I have the exact same customizations
on the Ubuntu thing I mentioned in a previous message, and all
works well there)

The thing is that, to the extent I could determine after a rather
long deduction process, the patch done either by AUCTeX itself 
or by the special Emacs build I am using succeeds only under
the above described circumstances: remove Index line, it fails.
Include it, it succeeds, completely independently of the
next entries if there are some in TeX-command-list inside custom.el

To be honest I have not tried to determine the minimal conditions
of success. Perhaps I could remove
some earlier lines, perhaps not, I have no idea. (I tried with
only the Index thing and it failed).

Well, I am condemned it seems to start my TeX-command-list
with the above canonical entries.

This will give me opportunity to freshen a bit my 
TeX-command-list entries which got frozen quite some years ago

As long as the above entries are there, I can pile up my own
things and also the old things not mine at end of list without
creating the problem.


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]