Re: [AUCTeX] Preparing new AUCTeX version and comments about more freque

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Preparing new AUCTeX version and comments about more frequent releases
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 16:53:10 -0400

On 7/20/2017 7:13 AM, Tamas Papp wrote:

On Thu, Jul 20 2017, Mosè Giordano wrote:

I'd like to cooperate as much as possible with downstream
distributors, but I'm not sure about what's the best way to do it:

* start tagging and releasing bug-fix versions also in the main
repository (not only in ELPA)?
* continue to not tagging bug-fix versions but do more frequent stable releases?
* other options?

Given that ELPA is very easy to set up and use, I would prefer the
choice that minimizes developer effort, so you and other developers have
time for important stuff and nifty new features.

I am puzzled why distributions consider it necessary to package a subset
of ELPA (unless there is a compelling reason to do so, eg because of
binary dependencies, but that is rare). It is wasted effort for all
participants.

Distributions have been packaging AUCTeX since long before AUCTeX was part of ELPA. To suddenly stop packaging it now would lead to unnecessary confusion for users. I think it's fine if ELPA releases happen more often than stable releases, but there should be stable releases whenever there is a major change or bug fix, as is the case now.

Ken