How to make `$' behaves more like other change commands

From: Vladimir Lomov
Subject: How to make `$' behaves more like other change commands
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 16:46:17 +0800

Hello,

the current behavior of `$' command when `TeX-electric-math' is not nil (I set
it to '\\(' '\\)' as LaTeX developers recommend) is different than other
'change' commands. This is documented but sometimes it is a bit confusing:
when I insert a macro (C-c C-m), set/change font (C-c C-f C-[X]) or enclose
paragraph into an environment these commands deselect text ("active region").
Is it possible to tweak the `$' command that it behaves more like other
"change" commands?

P.S. I prefer to explicitly use environments, especially for math, so if it
would be possible to either use current behavior or new one ("deselct a text")
it would be ideal solution.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
The universe, they said, depended for its operation on the balance of four
forces which they identified as charm, persuasion, uncertainty and