Re: AUCTeX and undo-tree

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: AUCTeX and undo-tree
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 08:38:33 +0100

On Wed, Mar 04 2020, Greg Bognar wrote:
I use the undo-tree package from GNU Elpa. Recently, the undo command (undo-tree-undo) stopped working when I edit .tex files with AUCTeX (in LaTeX-mode). As far as I can tell, it works as expected in all other modes. Emacs seems to hang and I have to hit C-g repeatedly to be able to edit again.
The default M-x undo command still works.

I'm not seeing any problem, undo-tree works just fine in AUCTeX.

What versions of Emacs and AUCTeX are you using? What OS? I'm on Linux, Emacs 26.3 and AUCTeX 12.2.0.
Since I have a lot of customizations, it's possible the cause is somewhere in my init file. But before I try to track it down, I wonder if anyone else
experienced this problem and have some ideas.

Check out Emacs sandbox:

https://github.com/alphapapa/emacs-sandbox.sh

It allows you to run a clean Emacs instance without your customisations. You can then install AUCTeX and undo-tree into that instance (Melpa is pre-configured) and test if the problem occurs. When you quit Emacs, everything is cleaned up. Your config isn't touched at all, you can even start the Emacs sandbox safely while your regular Emacs is running.

This way you can find out if your config has anything to do with the issue you're seeing.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments