Re: math mode cannot have closed parenthesis

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: math mode cannot have closed parenthesis
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 21:19:17 +0900

Hi Jason,

> I found that auctex is trying to detect matching dollars in math modes
> like align*, which I find is not a very useful feature. very often, I
> use \tag* to add complementary texts, in which I have to use some math
> formulae.

Well, it's a bit unclear to me what "detect matching dollars" means.
Perhaps you are saying that, in the example below, when you type "$"
inside \tag*{}, emacs complains that
Math mode started with ‘align*’ cannot be closed with dollar
?

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\begin{document}
\begin{align*}
  a &= b \tag*{AAA} \\
  x &= y
\end{align*}
\end{document}

If this guess is corrent, I think it is a bug of AUCTeX and we can fix
it soon. For the time being, you can workaround it by customizing
`texmathp-tex-commands' as follows (after typing M-x customize-option
RET texmathp-tex-commands RET, and saving these customizations, of
course):

▽ Texmathp Tex Commands:
INS DEL List:
            Name: \tag
            Type: Value Menu Command: turns math-mode for its argument off
INS DEL List:
            Name: \tag*
            Type: Value Menu Command: turns math-mode for its argument off

However, your words
> after one update,
sound strange. Although it's true that texmathp has changed recently,
this behavior is the same as before if I understand the relevant codes
correctly...

Or are you trying to tell something totally different? If so, please let
us know, preferably with output of "M-x TeX-submit-bug-report RET".

Regards,
Ikumi Keita