Re: File local-variables error: (error Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-ev

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: File local-variables error: (error Lisp nesting exceeds ‘max-lisp-eval-depth’)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 12:48:22 +0100

Denis Bitouzé <denis.bitouze@univ-littoral.fr> writes:

> while it used to work nicely,

Also known as: why this utter disregard of the documentation did not
trigger a fatal error before as far as I remember.

> I'm now facing an issue when I open my `.dtx` files, loaded with some
> specific local variables.
>
> 2. Add the following local variables to the bottom of this file:
>
> %%% Local Variables:
> %%% mode: tex
> %%% eval: (doctex-mode)
> %%% TeX-command-default: "TeX"
> %%% TeX-master: t
> %%% End:

doctex-mode is a major mode.  To trigger it _after_ first loading
another mode as a major mode is a mistake.  It probably now causes the
local variable block to be reloaded, with obvious results.

--
David Kastrup