Re: Auctex persistent problems not recognizing master file

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: Auctex persistent problems not recognizing master file
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 20:43:57 +0900

Hi David,

> Would it make sense / be possible  to have someone test the MWE on a
> system other than mine with Auctex 13.0.5 installed? My apologies if
> this is presumptuous. :)

I installed and tried doom emacs, with emacs 27.2. It seems that AUCTeX
isn't enabled.
0. First I installed AUCTeX from ELPA. (Current version is 13.0.6)
1. When I launch a new doom emacs session and open chap1.tex of your MWE,
   emacs says "Ignoring unsafe file local variable: TeX-master" in echo
   erea. In fact, `TeX-master' is void as variable.
2. The item 1 suggests that tex.el, the core file of AUCTeX, isn't
   loaded since tex.el declares that three symbols t, nil, shared and
   any string are safe for the local value of `TeX-master'. As I
   suspected, (featurep 'tex) returns nil in the buffer, so tex.el isn't
   loaded.
3. The appearance of mode line doesn't seem AUCTeX-like, either. I
   suspect that emacs built-in latex-mode, not AUCTeX LaTeX-mode, is
   enabled.

>From the above observations, I suspect that doom emacs ignores and isn't
compatible with AUCTeX. (I'm not sure why you have a value of t for
`TeX-master' despite that you do (setq-default TeX-master "master"), and
why you can use C-c _ to add Local Variables section.)

I suppose that it would help, at least partially, to quit using doom
emacs. However, you wrote
> All of my packages were previously installed by (M)ELPA when I was
> using straight Emacs. I still had this problem at that time.
, thus the problem in question doesn't seem related directly to doom
emacs...

Regards,
Ikumi Keita