Re: Failed to skip from chapter tex file to master pdf file.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Failed to skip from chapter tex file to master pdf file.
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 08:21:17 +0800

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 3:19 AM Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> >> What would be the right filename?  The project looks like thesis.tex is
> >> the master file so I'd assume the pdf would be thesis.pdf and not
> >> conclusion.pdf which is just some included chapter in content/.
> >
> > Yes. "thesis.tex" is the master file, and "thesis.pdf" is the
> > generated pdf file name.
>
> So this would be the right filename, I guess.
>
> /home/werner/Public/hpc/tools/thesis/gitlab.kwant-project.org/jbweston/thesis.git/content/thesis.pdf

According to the file directory hierarchy, it should be the following:

/home/werner/Public/hpc/tools/thesis/gitlab.kwant-project.org/jbweston/thesis.git/thesis.pdf

> >> What are your TeX-master values?  It should be t in thesis.tex and
> >> "../thesis" in the sub-files in content/.  From the error above, I'd
> >> guess you've told AUCTeX that conclusion.tex was the master file and
> >> pdf-tools uses the value of TeX-master and thus assumes
> >> conclusion.pdf was the generated pdf.
> >
> > See below:
> >
> > $ tail -5 ./thesis.tex
> >
> > %%% TeX-master: t
> >
> > $ tail -5 content/publications.tex
> >
> > %%% TeX-master: ../thesis
> >
> > But still meet the error:
> >
> > ```
> > epdfinfo: Error opening
> > /home/werner/Public/hpc/tools/thesis/gitlab.kwant-project.org/jbweston/thesis.git/content/publications.pdf:No
> > such file or directory
>
> Phew, this time it is publications.pdf, last time it was conclusion.pdf.
> Have you also looked at the actual variable values using `C-h v
> TeX-master'?

I'm just trying with different chapter files to inspect this problem.

> If the TeX-master values look right, I guess you will need to edebug the
> pdf-tools functions `pdf-sync-forward-search' and
> `pdf-sync-forward-correlate'.  Especially, the latter calls the AUCTeX
> function (TeX-master-file "pdf") to determine the name of the pdf.
>
> Or as a first step, you could also find the master file and all chapter
> files and eval the following in *stratch* and post the output:
>
> (delq nil (mapcar (lambda (buf)
>                     (with-current-buffer buf
>                       (when (eq major-mode 'latex-mode)
>                         (cons (buffer-file-name buf)
>                               (TeX-master-file "pdf")))))
>                   (buffer-list)))

See below:

(delq nil (mapcar (lambda (buf)
                    (with-current-buffer buf
                      (when (eq major-mode 'latex-mode)
                        (cons (buffer-file-name buf)
                              (TeX-master-file "pdf")))))
                  (buffer-list)))
(("/home/werner/Public/hpc/tools/thesis/gitlab.kwant-project.org/jbweston/thesis.git/thesis.tex"
. "thesis.pdf"))

Best,
HY
Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province