Re: Convert the svg files to pdf/eps for a project automatically.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Convert the svg files to pdf/eps for a project automatically.
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 22:19:01 +0800

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 4:22 PM Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 2:11 AM Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm not sure if AUCTeX needs this feature.  There is a LaTeX package
> >> called svg[1] which exactly does this job.  I think we need a style to
> >> support this package.
> >
> > Do you mean something like the files located at
> > <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/auctex.git/tree/style>?
>
> Yes, I was thinking about something like graphicx.el adapted to svg.

Thank you for your confirmation.

> In your other mail, you wrote:
>
> > According to its document on
> > <https://mirrors.concertpass.com/tex-archive/graphics/svg/doc/svg.pdf>,
> > this package includes two sub-packages: svg and svg-extract. If I
> > understand correctly, the question discussed here only relevant to the
> > svg-extract package.
>
> I'm not sure if I understand this correctly.  svg manual says:

To be frank, my POV above is just the impression after a very cursory
glance, so it might be incorrect.

>     2. Usage of package svg
>
>     The purpose of this package is to include standalone SVG graphics into
>     a LaTeX document.  The command \includesvg is defined which does all
>     necessary steps for this task. It first launches the export of a SVG
>     file to a supported file format with Inkscape, if necessary, and
>     includes the exported graphic file afterwards.

If so, this step will also generate the supported file format by
LaTeX, then all subsequent jobs will be done by graphicx package
normally. So, I suspect that the svg package will invoke the graphicx
package with the above command internally after the supported file
formats have been generated correctly. If this is the logic used by
the above command of svg package, then I can't see we need much job
for writing something like graphicx.el for svg package, I mean, once
the supported file formats has been exported with inkscape, all
subsequent workflows, in essential, will be done by other packages.
But I'm not sure whether this is the internal mechanism of this
command.

>     3. Usage of package svg-extract
>
>     This package allows the extraction of independent graphic files out of
>     SVG files which have been included and rendered with LaTeX by the svg
>     package.  This is particularly useful when attempting to provide
>     images to journals or collaborators, and one wishes the image to
>     appear exactly as it does within the original LaTeX document.

>From the above description, it seems that the command \includesvg will
call this command internally.

> From user's POV, the package svg is relevant and should be supported by
> AUCTeX. Support for svg-extract would be bonus points :-)

OK. But what should we want to do with a svg.el for this case?

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province