Re: \hyperref macro seems to confuse paren matching

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: \hyperref macro seems to confuse paren matching
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 17:02:10 +0900

Hi Arash and Jean,

> Thanks for raising this issue.  This is how your example above looks for
> me (which I slightly changed) with 'emacs -Q':

> Note the fontification of '{{foo}' which is `font-latex-verbatim-face'
> and due to this line in hyperref.el:

>   (add-to-list 'LaTeX-verbatim-macros-with-braces-local "hyperref")

Supplementary note for Jean: This treatment ends up with giving
special syntax (in terms of Elisp) rule to the both ends of
{{foo}
, which leads to incorrect hehavior of `show-paren-mode' you are talking
about. The next paragraph discusses the effect of that special syntax.

> This means that the content in the first mandatory argument is
> considered verbatim and the '{' directly before 'foo' is ignored as a
> brace (in terms of \begingroup) and from there things go in the wrong
> direction.

> It is unfortunate that \hyperref can be used like this:

>   \hyperref{URL}{category}{name}{text}

> or

>   \hyperref[label]{text}

> AUCTeX currently caters for the former syntax and ignores the latter.
> Maybe we should change this?  I think the latter will be more common.

Hmm, I didn't know that \hyperref accepts these two different usage.
It's rather unordinary, isn't it? If AUCTeX is to support both usage, I
suppose that we have to implement it as a highly exceptional case.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine