Re: AUCTex in WSL cannot find TeX Live in Win

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: AUCTex in WSL cannot find TeX Live in Win
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 17:21:01 +0900

Hi Joost,

> On Tue, Aug 23 2022, Ikumi Keita wrote:
>> If the above guess is correct, you have to set at least `TeX-command'
>> and `LaTeX-command' to "tex.exe" and "latex.exe" respectively

> I don't use Windows or WSL myself either, but ISTR from the time that
> I did use Windows occasionally, it would accept `latex` as command
> invocation, even if the binary is called `latex.exe`.

I think you are talking about the situation when you enter commands in
windows command prompt (cmd.exe) or power shell. In that case, I agree
that the suffix ".exe" can be omitted.

I'm talking about the situation when the command is called through wsl
bash shell. Bash is just a linux binary, so I suspect that it wouldn't
add suffix ".exe" implicitly when it searches executable file in PATH.
If there is only "pdflatex.exe" in PATH and no "pdflatex" (without the
suffix), I guess that bash would insist that "there is no executable
named pdflatex in PATH", ending up with invoking nothing.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine