Re: Debian archive rebuild with Autoconf 2.69c

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: Debian archive rebuild with Autoconf 2.69c
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 20:39:26 -0400

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 12:50 AM Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 9:21 AM Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com> wrote:
> > I believe that these packages would be suitable for experimental,
> > and/or as a basis for the eventual upload of 2.70 to unstable, but I
> > don't have the privileges to upload anything to the Debian archive.
> > I'm cc:ing the Debian maintainer of autoconf -- Ben, if you would like
> > to check and adopt my work, please feel free.
>
> Zack, thanks so much for doing all this work.
>
> Over the last few years, I've been slowly drifting away from Debian.
> Package maintenance no longer holds too much interest for me. This
> hasn't been a big deal for the Autoconf packaging for Debian, since
> it's needed very little work. But now that a new major release is coming
> out, it might be time to pass the torch to someone who is more active
> and interested. I've been the Debian maintainer of it for almost 23 years,
> after all, so maybe it's time to give someone a chance anyway.
>
> Are you interested? (Is anyone else here?)

I appreciate the thought, but I think this package needs to be
maintained in Debian by someone a lot more deeply involved with Debian
than me. It's been my distro of choice for many years and I know how
to construct a package, but I'm not in the keyring and I don't follow
the project's plans very closely.

zw