Re: How to post large files

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: How to post large files
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 14:28:02 -0600

Bob Proulx wrote:
> What to do?  How to deal with these files?

I had a question off-list about large source code patches.

Please continue to post source code and patches to the mailing lists.
I wasn't trying to avert people from posting source code patches.

Patches are source code and I think everyone generally would agree
that GNU is all about the source code.  I have often seen large
patches go by and have always approved them when they were held.  I
didn't mention them as being offenders.  It isn't a perfect world and
compromises must be made.

If they are large, larger than would be reviewed easily inline anyway,
then I think it is better to attach them.  Say... >100K.  Think for
example of looking at the bug tracker where the entire thread is
viewed as a single page.  Think of Gmane which has single thread view
pages.  Putting large patches as an attachment just makes sense and it
preserves our ability to view those pages easily.  And if attaching
them then compressing them isn't any more trouble.  So might as well
compress them and save the space all around.

Bob