Re: Adding "progress bar" feature to "cp" and "mv" commands

From: Sami Kerola
Subject: Re: Adding "progress bar" feature to "cp" and "mv" commands
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 11:54:01 +0100

On 12 May 2013 04:30, Lokesh Walase <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am interested in adding "progress bar" feature to "cp" and "mv" commands.
> For this I downloaded the latest source code GNU-coreutils-8.21.
>
> I have fair knowledge of "C" and can understand the code.
>
> However the code is too big and I m right now confused as to what to do or
> where to start from, or what should I read and which part of code I should
> focus.
>
> Is this too ambitious to start with ?
>
> Kindly guide me.

Hi Lokesh,

I am not a maintainer, but I would find it surprising if progress bar
would be accepted this time.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2007-12/msg00120.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2010-09/msg00052.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2011-08/msg00015.html

But perhaps something could be done with the proposal. Would it make
sense to add 'rejected feature requests' section to

http://www.pixelbeat.org/patches/coreutils/inbox_apr_2013.html

and have a link to latest summary in README.hacking? IMHO the rejected
section should contain only features which has already been discussed
couple times, such as the progress bar in cp or mv.

--
   Sami Kerola
   http://www.iki.fi/kerolasa/