Re: Difference in binaries present in old and new versions of gnu tools

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Difference in binaries present in old and new versions of gnu tools
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 08:57:36 -0500

On 05/03/2018 01:23 AM, Mathai, Eldho (Nokia - IN/Bangalore) wrote:
Hello,
We were using an old version of gnu tools for our software compilation, now we
downloaded the new version (8.29) from the below address
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.29.tar.xz

That is only the coreutils, but your list included a lot of other GNU software projects that are distributed as independent projects, and probably even some non-GNU but open source software.

After the make install we could see many binaries are missing in the latest
when compared with our existing old version. Can you help me here to know why
these binaries are missing and where can I get the latest versions of these
missing binaries.
Below are the differences:

Binaries in old version
autopoint

For example, autopoint is not part of coreutils. Running 'autopoint --version' will tell you that it is part of 'GNU gettext-tools', and therefore you need to find a tarball (or a pre-built binary from a distribution) for gettext-tools.

The same is true for all other missing tools that were present on your old machine - there are many more GNU projects than just coreutils. https://www.gnu.org/software/ is a good starting point to learn which packages you will need for which binaries.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266