icon support for ls

From: Gokcehan Kara
Subject: icon support for ls
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 01:07:18 +0300

Hello,

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

There has been some interest for showing icons for different files in `ls`
lately. I have found the following projects attempting this:

    https://github.com/illinoisjackson/better-ls/
    https://github.com/ryanoasis/devicons-shell
    https://github.com/athityakumar/colorls

There are some others trying to modify `ls` source for this purpose:

    https://github.com/illinoisjackson/even-better-ls
    https://github.com/sebastiencs/ls-icons

Though I doubt these have been submitted back as patches.

There are already some interesting unicode icons in the standard:

    πŸ—€ Folder         U+1F5C0
    πŸ— Open Folder    U+1F5C1
    πŸ—‹ Empty Document U+1F5CB
    πŸ—Œ Empty Page     U+1F5CC
    πŸ— Empty Pages    U+1F5CD
    πŸ—Ž Document       U+1F5CE
    πŸ— Page           U+1F5CF
    πŸ— Pages          U+1F5D0

There are also specialized fonts with support for various icons:

    https://github.com/ryanoasis/nerd-fonts
    https://github.com/sebastiencs/icons-in-terminal

I was thinking a similar mechanism as the color option could be used for
icons
as well. Maybe `dircolors` can be used to export an `$LS_ICONS` variable
from a
configuration file. Or maybe this could be directly added to `$LS_COLORS`
variable somehow.

What do you think such a feature?

Regards,
Gokcehan