shred rename behavior

From: Nuzhna Pomoshch
Subject: shred rename behavior
Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 14:16:03 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I have a number of very long file names (~200 characters). When I use shred on
them, first of all, it slows shred down a bit doing 200 renames, and second,
for files on SSDs, I worry that so many write operations will cause the SSDs to
wear out before they otherwise would.

I wonder if you know any way to perhaps rename a file to all zeros, then rename
it to a single zero, and then unlink it. I guess I just don't see the gain from
the extra security in the present method as worth the cost.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

NP