Re: SV: Wish: checksumming *sum filter

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: SV: Wish: checksumming *sum filter
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 07:44:21 -0700

On 10/05/19 06:13, Ole Tange wrote:
> Pádraig wrote:
>
> :
>
>> The fact that *sum would need to consume/buffer all the input would mean
>> that the parallelism
>> from the rest of the pipe is lost (well I suppose the process startup
>> overhead is parallelized).
>
> Just like sort/wc and *sum if used in a pipe today:
>
>     cat file | sha256sum | ...

Right.

*sum, and wc are simple as they reduce the input to a bounded size.

sort is not simple internally and must deal with
writing out temp files.

>> I.E. it's functionally equivalent to:
>>
>>  Get_untrused_input > /tmp/blah
>>  sha256sum -c <(echo "$chksum  /tmp/blah") &&
>>  rm /tmp/blah
>
> Yes, except you can do it on a read-only file system and in a shell that does
> not support <().

In the general case write access would probably be required, like with sort
above.
Note sort uses $TMPDIR if set to identify a writable file system.
Re support for <(), one could use another temp file for that.

cheers,
Pádraig