Re: Add dry-run option to mv

From: Kaz Kylheku (Coreutils)
Subject: Re: Add dry-run option to mv
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 19:15:22 -0800

On 2021-03-10 13:59, L A Walsh wrote:
On 2021/03/07 03:20, Emilio Garcia wrote:
   Hi all,

I checked out the coreutils repo on Github and I would like to ask you
   to add a dry-run option in the mv command.
  ----
   When I've needed such functionality, I insert an 'echo'
before the 'mv' command, so in a script:

cmd=eval
if ((dry_run)); then
 cmd=echo
fi

Me too; but that doesn't validate the arguments like Emilio wants.

E.g.

  mv --dry-run existing-file nonexistent-dir/  # error
  mv --dry-run nonexistent-object somewhere # error
  mv --dry-run object /another/filesystem # diagnostic