Re: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:34:54 -0500

On 12 Feb 2004, address@hidden wrote:

>> I saw some discussion of a compile.el update, I hope the new
>> version preserves this patch's behavior.
>
> Right now it doesn't.
> But it should not be difficult to change.

OK, I'll be glad to up-rev the patch as needed.

> By the way: why (make-variable-buffer-local
> 'compilation-next-error-function)?  It seems completely unnecessary.
> People can make-local-variable when needed.  It's generally clearer
> if they do it anyway.

I think Kim suggested that.  It's so that multiple modes can set
compilation-next-error-function without using make-local-variable.  If
you change it, you're just pushing that work to the modes that use
this interface.  I think it's 6 one way, half-dozen the other, so
whatever the Emacs developers prefer is fine with me.

> Also why not rename next-error to compilation-next-error, then
> default compilation-next-error-function to compilation-next-error
> and just write:
>
> (defun next-error (argp)
>   (interactive ...)
>   (with-current-buffer compilation-last-buffer
>     (funcall compilation-next-error-function argp))

compilation-last-buffer is not necessarily what we want.  We need to
find a suitable buffer, so you can run next-error anywhere and at any
time.  That preserves the existing semantics of next-error; I don't
think your version does.  I may be wrong, though.

Ted