Re: supporting more faces on 256 colors xterms

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: supporting more faces on 256 colors xterms
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:30:57 -0800

  > > From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
  > > Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:29:00 -0800
  > >
  > >   > I think that adding a definition for (min-colors 16) is a Good
  > >   > Thing regardless, as there's rxvt and a 16-color xterm out there.
  > >
  > > Thanks for the detailed explanations on how these things currently
  > > work. I have an updated patch. Could you please test it on
  > > MSDOS/Windows and tell me if the face colors are the same before and
  > > after my patch? I don't have access to such a machine, so I cannot
  > > test this myself.
  >
  > I will try to do this ASAP, but my ASAP might be too long, given my
  > current lack of free time.
  >
  > I've proofread your changes, and they seem to be okay.  So if someone
  > could actually test them on rxvt or a 16-color xterm or on the Windows
  > console, I think it's okay to go ahead and commit these changes.  Even
  > if no one tests them, I think they are still okay to commit (unless
  > others object to these changes); we can always fix later what might
  > become broken.

Based on what Eli says above, can somebody please commit this patch?

I will send a patch for etc/NEWS and display.texi next week , I am a
little short on time now.

lisp/ChangeLog
2004-02-12  Dan Nicolaescu  <address@hidden>

        * faces.el (face-spec-set-match-display): Add a new  attribute,
        `min-colors'.
        (region, highlight, secondary-selection): Use `min-colors`.

        * custom.el (defface): Add documentation for `min-colors'.

        * font-lock.el (font-lock-comment-face, font-lock-string-face,
        font-lock-keyword-face, font-lock-function-name-face,
        font-lock-variable-name-face, font-lock-constant-face): Use
        `min-colors`.

        * isearch.el (isearch, isearch-lazy-highlight-face): Use
        `min-colors'.