Re: Simple optimization for read_avail_input()

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Simple optimization for read_avail_input()
Date: 20 Feb 2004 01:31:57 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> I don't know if the intended effect on read_avail_input is still
> present with my changes, so I would ask you to redo your measurements
> to see if my changes are ok.  Can you do that?

Dmitry kindly measured the effect of my changes, and they were not
quite satisfactory, so I have now committed a simpler and more
efficient version of read_avail_input, which uses a much smaller
input_event buffer (8 instead of 4096 elements) when read_socket_hook
is used, and just a single input_event otherwise.

My own subjective feeling is that emacs is now more responsive, especially
when resizing the frame or dragging a mode line with the mouse.