Emacs release numbering 21.4 vs. 22.1

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Emacs release numbering 21.4 vs. 22.1
Date: 25 Feb 2004 16:43:38 +0100

>     The address@hidden stuff, which we invented for images, will also give us
> an
>     extensible mechanism, once Emacs Info ignores (and does not display) any
>     directives it doesn't know what to do with.  (I'll attach a test file.)
>     So in that sense, it is not *too* ugly a solution.
>
> I think we want this change to be released in Emacs soon, if we are
> going to put it into Texinfo now.  We should put it into a 21.4
> release that we are going to make soon from the RC branch.

I believe many emacs users are expecting 21.4 be released from the CVS
head as a major feature update.

To remove that confusion, I suggest that we decide _NOW_ that when CVS
head will eventually be released as 22.1, and that we start preparing
for that now.

We definitely have enough new functionality in the CVS head to justify
upgrading the major number (and I suppose that the unicode branch will
be merged to the trunk before releasing 22.1 -- right?).