Re: dired-kill-tree

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: dired-kill-tree
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:39:51 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   I think this behavior is rather error-prone and counterintuitive.
   I would rather consider it a bug, and change it to exclude
   DIRNAME even if it is specified in the syntactic form of a file name.

   If this makes it hard to kill a subdir, we could add a new interface
   for doing that, or we could make this command ask whether
   to kill directory DIRNAME as well.  That would provide an accident-proof
   way to ask for either behavior.

What about the following patch, which kills DIRNAME as well if a
prefix argument is given?

===File ~/dired-aux-diff====================================
*** dired-aux.el        07 Jun 2004 15:59:16 -0500      1.120
--- dired-aux.el        07 Jun 2004 21:04:22 -0500
***************
*** 1852,1870 ****
                          (> (dired-get-subdir-min elt1)
                             (dired-get-subdir-min elt2)))))))

! (defun dired-kill-tree (dirname &optional remember-marks)
    "Kill all proper subdirs of DIRNAME, excluding DIRNAME itself.
! With optional arg REMEMBER-MARKS, return an alist of marked files."
!   (interactive "DKill tree below directory: ")
!   (setq dirname (expand-file-name dirname))
    (let ((s-alist dired-subdir-alist) dir m-alist)
      (while s-alist
        (setq dir (car (car s-alist))
            s-alist (cdr s-alist))
!       (if (and (not (string-equal dir dirname))
!              (dired-in-this-tree dir dirname)
!              (dired-goto-subdir dir))
!         (setq m-alist (nconc (dired-kill-subdir remember-marks) m-alist))))
      m-alist))

  (defun dired-insert-subdir-newpos (new-dir)
--- 1852,1874 ----
                          (> (dired-get-subdir-min elt1)
                             (dired-get-subdir-min elt2)))))))

! (defun dired-kill-tree (dirname &optional remember-marks kill-root)
    "Kill all proper subdirs of DIRNAME, excluding DIRNAME itself.
! Interactively, you can kill DIRNAME as well by using a prefix argument.
! In interactive use, the command prompts for DIRNAME.
!
! When called from Lisp, if REMEMBER-MARKS is non-nil, return an alist
! of marked files.  If KILL-ROOT is non-nil, kill DIRNAME as well."
!   (interactive "DKill tree below directory: \ni\nP")
!   (setq dirname (file-name-as-directory (expand-file-name dirname)))
    (let ((s-alist dired-subdir-alist) dir m-alist)
      (while s-alist
        (setq dir (car (car s-alist))
            s-alist (cdr s-alist))
!       (and (or kill-root (not (string-equal dir dirname)))