Re: desktop.el and minor modes

From: Lars Hansen
Subject: Re: desktop.el and minor modes
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 08:49:37 +0200

Juri Linkov wrote:

However, this change is not backward compatible.  I can't tell how serious
this problem is, but users who have the old variable `dired-omit-files-p'
customized in their .emacs may discover that it doesn't work anymore.
The reason is that old `dired-omit-files-p' was a global variable
defined by defcustom, but `dired-omit-mode' is a minor mode defined
without `:global t' argument.
I don't see the problem. dired-omit-files-p was buffer-local before my changes just as dired-omit-mode is now. According to my test (with vanilla Emacs 21.2 and vanilla CVS Emacs), things work the same way when dired-omit-files-p is set in .emacs:
With the following two lines in .emacs

 (require 'dired-x)
 (setq-default dired-omit-files-p t)

omit mode is turned on globally. Observe that setq won't work.