Re: Checkout of Emacs CVS through firewall

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Checkout of Emacs CVS through firewall
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 08:40:39 -0400

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 11:42:27AM +0200, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> I've downloaded a tla binary for Windows, and I've done
>
>   tla register-archive http://sourcecontrol.net/~miles/address@hidden
>
> which I think is a prerequisite.  I don't know how to go from here...
> (I'll read the docs, I just can do it right now).

Um; I'm not sure if there are funny issues with windows or not.

Before doing anything I'd recommend you make a `revision library' -- it
isn't necessary, but it makes life much nicer (it's basically a cache for
revisions).  You can do that like:

   $ mkdir -p $SOME_PATH/arch/revlib
   $ tla my-revision-library $SOME_PATH/arch/revlib
   $ tla library-config --greedy --sparse $SOME_PATH/arch/revlib

[where $SOME_PATH/arch/revlib is an arbitrary directory name]

Optionally, you can setup gnupg to check library signatures, but you can
skip that for now.

Then you get the tree; emacs is big so this will take a long time unless you
have a fast connection:

   $ cd $MY_SRC_DIR
   $ tla get address@hidden/emacs--cvs-trunk--0 emacs

[That will put emacs into $MY_SRC_DIR/emacs]

> Is that a read-only access, or read-write?

It's read-only.  If you want read-write access, you'd need ssh access to
fencepost, but you could probably use port 443 on fp-ssh.gnu.org for that
(that's what I use from work).

I've never done R/W access for anyone else, so it would take some time to
work out what to do, but it might be an interesting experiment -- I'd like
for it to be possible for others to commit via arch.

[An alternative which is slightly more `archy' would be for you to set up
your own archive with your own branch of emacs, arrange for it to be
anonymously accessible, and then periodically ask for it to be merged into
the cvs-synchronized branch -- ideally that would via some sort of automatic
mechanism e.g. a mail daemon, but of course that requires more
infrastructure.]

> Is the branch synchronized with the CVS trunk at given intervals, or
> continuously (via a script or whatever)?

It's synchronized via a script that I run manually, but I run it pretty
often (every time I log into fencepost mostly) as it's just one command.

-Miles
--
Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose   --Janis Joplin