Re: query-replace-interactive not documented

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: query-replace-interactive not documented
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:11:44 -0400

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 04:01:07AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> It has the disadvantage as compared to my more
> recent proposal \` that it has no running mate like ' to complete the
> expression in case that we want to write something like
> \`replace-count'}
> where otherwise replace-count} would become a single symbol.

Is it not possible to tweak the reader so that only `normal' variables are
read, and it stops reading at the "}"?  That would make the common case very
convenient, and anyone who really wanted to use a weirdly named variable in
that location could just use (progn WEIRD{}34) instead.  I think since it's
clearly an odd situation (a lisp expression embedded in the middle an
otherwise uninterpreted string), users would probably find such a reader
`restriction' fairly natural.

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff