Re: query-replace-interactive not documented

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: query-replace-interactive not documented
Date: 16 Jun 2004 23:15:58 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> It is not important what question it asks.  It would work even for
> two or three different \? in one replacement string.  In rare cases
> where the user needs more \?, he can use \,(read-string "My prompt:
> ").
>
> Or to let it to automatically enumerate prompt strings, i.e. to have
> a counter in expression generating code in `query-replace-regexp'
> that will convert several \? in the same string into prompts in a
> fixed format with the prompt counter added to the prompt string:
>
> (concat (read-string "Enter string 1: ") (read-string "Enter string
> 2: "))

Yes, I might do something like that.  What about the replacement
strings entered for \?, should they be passed through replace-quote
or not?  Where users enter the replacement themselves, maybe there is
some incentive to let it have the unquoted meaning, so that users may
also enter \1 \2 \3 in the replacement string?