Re: C-h C-i

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: C-h C-i
Date: 18 Jun 2004 19:19:42 -0500

> Lately I have seen people spending a lot of time discussing minor
> issues.  This time sink is getting in the way of useful work.
> When you see such a discussion develop, please wait a day before
> saying anything more.  Then you'll see if I make a decision or not.
> If I don't make a decision, you can go back to arguing, if you don't
> have anything else to do.

People spend their time on minor issues largely because there is no
bug tracker and no clear path to "the next goal" -- release,
milestone, whatever.  When you see everyone spinning out into "what
color to paint the bikeshed" discussions, it is a sign that nothing
more compelling has presented itself to occupy them.

If there were more organization, to make it obvious what the useful
work is, people would be doing that instead.  You want lead a
network-based development project, but while avoiding technologies
that require being attached to the network regularly.  This
contradiction is part of the problem.  Minor issues will continue to
dominate, as long as people do not see an organized, trackable
presentation of high-priority issues, maintained in real time.

-Karl