adding a new encoding

From: Baurjan Ismagulov
Subject: adding a new encoding
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:03:01 +0200

Hello,

I want to use Emacs to edit text in PT154 encoding. I've tried to type
the characters pretending they were in KOI8-R, but Emacs (I'm using
21.2) hasn't swallow it :) (it displayed some, beeped at some, and did
nothing for some).

I suppose I need to tell Emacs about PT154. I've started to dig through
lisp/language and lisp/international, but it's a bit overwhelming for a
novice. Could anyone give any tips where to start?

Thanks in advance,
Baurjan.