Re: isearch hooks

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: isearch hooks
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:18:49 -0400

    It doesn't look right since `isearch-search-fun' is used to specify
    the function to call for the search different from the default
    `search-forward' or `re-search-forward'.  But in the intended cases
    default functions are suitable to search the text in the buffer.
    What is needed is to switch locations on the search when the search
    in the current buffers is failed.

The function that isearch-search-fun specifies can do all of those jobs.
Do you see what I mean?

    In the newest version I added a new variable `isearch-wrap-failed'.
    If it is set to non-nil the search will not pause for displaying the
    message "Failing I-search..." but will immediately wrap the search
    to the location found by `isearch-wrap-functions'.

This is the wrong way to do it.  Wrapping should NEVER happen
immediately after the basic search fails.  You might want to do something
else after the basic search fails, but that thing is not wrapping!