Re: add read-file-name-completion-ignore-case user variable ?

From: John Paul Wallington
Subject: Re: add read-file-name-completion-ignore-case user variable ?
Date: 25 Jun 2004 11:28:53 +0100

> > > How about having a `read-file-name-completion-ignore-case' user
> > > variable rather than hard-coding a value according to system type?
> > > We could still set its default value according to system type.
> >
> > Which your change does not seem to do.

Yeah.  I think this would be a neat feature to add but am not sure
whether the default value should be t for any system type.

> Anyway, I am not sure this is the right approach.  After all, case
> insensitivity is not as much an operating system, but a file system
> feature.  When doing file name completion on a Windows partition
> mounted on a typical Linux root file system, the "natural" behavior
> would be case sensitive completion in the path components up to the
> mount point, and case insensitive after that.

As you note, case insensitivity doesn't map cleanly to system type.
For example, Mac OS X's standard filesystem HFS+ is case-insensitive
whilst preserving the case of filenames but it can use traditional
case-sensitive UFS instead/as well and it supports NFS too.

Also, rhe users' preference for case sensitivity/insensitivity in
completions when reading a file name need not correspond to the
characteristics of particular filesystems.